I have to admit that until today, I’d never made anything with kohlrabi. I seriously had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started peeling that insanely thick skin and yes, I did google how to peel kohlrabi. I was so surprised and excited by the sweet nature and crunchy texture of this vegetable, very similar to jicama. Let’s just say there’s going to be tons of kohlrabi in my future and it should definitely be in yours!
You can use any type of beets you want but the darker the beet, the darker your slaw. I went with a red beet this time but I’m going to play with golden beets soon to see how it changes the color of the white kohlrabi.
Love that color contrast!
Kohlrabi & Beet Slaw
- 2 cups shredded raw peeled kohlrabi (from 1 kohlrabi)
- 1 cup shredded raw peeled beets (from 1–2 small beets)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Combine the kohlrabi and beets in a mixing bowl. Note that the beets will dye the kohlrabi red. You can use any kind of beet you want so golden and candy cane beets won’t be as strong of a color as the red beets.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and salt then pour over the kohlrabi and beets and lightly stir.
- Add the fresh parsley and golden raisin and stir again. You can eat the slaw right away or refrigerate 1-2 days before serving.